Saturday

Ron Hextall Goons Chris Chelios

Remember this battle from the 1989 playoffs? Earlier in the series Chris Chelios became the number one target in the so-called City of Brotherly Love after he knocked skilled winger Brian Propp out with a big that left Propp concussed. With the series wrapping up, goalie Ron Hextall decided to equal the score the old fashion way.

"We were down in the series and it looked like it was going to be Chelios’ last shift. I’m not sure really what happened. I just felt the need to go after him, partly out of what he did to Propp and partly out of frustration with the situation we were in as a team."

When asked if Hextall regretted the incident: "Of course I did. I got suspended the next year for 12 games (to start the 1989-90 season). So essentially you cost your team your services at the start of the next season. I regret it, but reflecting back, I believe it was the right thing to do at the time."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home